Monday, June 7, 2010

Wildlife galore








May 28, 2010. This was my day off and with Claire in Florida for the week I thought I would take a trip to West Yellowstone which is a small town in Montana just outside the west gate of the park. This was a great day to view wildlife. I was fortunate to see Elk, Bison and their babes, Coyote, Trumpeter Swan, Bald Eagle, Grizzly with two cubs. What a glorious day. Got some lumber in town so I could build stairs that lead up to our 5th. wheel trailer. I do miss Home Depot. In town they have a hardware/lumber store which is about as close as I am going to get to a Home Depot. All the wildlife were on the way to town and back. At Madison Junction I can head north towards Mammoth or head east to Canyon which is the way to get back to my RV park. I decided I would head north for a few miles to see if I could find the Grizzly and cubs. About 6 miles I saw a bunch of cars pulled over which tells me something is out there. A Park Ranger was present and that is a sign that a bear is nearby. Sure enough there was a Grizzly with two cubs. I was not able to find a place to pull over so many of my photo shots were taken from the car and I was not able to get the shots that I could get if I was out of the car with time to focus. I have a 500 mm lens and have to manual focus and it is hard to do while driving in the car. After awhile I was able to find a parking spot but Mom and kids where moving back up into the woods. It was fun watching them. There is a Grizzly Mom and cub near our RV park which I will get photos of.

Work is going well and it appears that we will have a banner year. Many people from all over the world are coming into the park and stopping by our gift shop. Claire heads back into town on June 3rd. flying into Jackson Hole, Wy.

Hope you enjoy the wonderful wildlife here in the "Stone".

1 comment:

  1. Wow. what great pictures. Must be nice to travel around where there is something awesome around every corner.
    Sorry to hear about Claire's credit cards. I say we invoke the death penalty if they find the culprits!!!

    ReplyDelete