Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Our Yellowstone Adventure










The weather has been great lately and we decided to take a nice bike ride in the park. We did about 90 miles and did a little hiking. Our first goal was to head to Midway Geyser Basin to see the Grand Prismatic Spring. It is the largest hot spring in the park with a diameter of 370 feet. We hiked a trail a little over a mile to a point where we found animal trails that went up a rather steep hill with lots of tree roots and rocks to climb over. After panting and stopping to catch our breath we made it to the top. What a sight to look down at this beautiful spring. The photos will tell the story. After we left the Grand Prismatic Spring we drove the Firehole Lake Drive which took us to the Great Fountain Geyser and other small hot springs. These hot springs have the deepest blue color and are extremely hot and deadly if you were to fall into them. We left there and headed to Old Faithful. I know everyone has heard of Old Faithful. We went into the Old Faithful Inn, sat on the upper porch with a nice cold beer and watched Old Faithful erupt. Out in the parking lot near where I parked my bike, a bison and her baby were near by. We had the opportunity to watch the baby nurse right there in the parking lot. Lots of cool things happen here in the park. You never know what is around the corner. The other day when I got up in the AM to walk the dogs a large Bull Bison was grazing just outside our door. Yesterday when I walked the dogs there was a large Elk grazing about a hundred feet from our trailer. Today we are off for another 2 mile hike then we have to work the evening shift. Can you believe that I have to work on my birthday? Well at 67 years old I guess I should be happy that I can still walk, talk, and work. I hope you will enjoy the photos.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff, your pictures are amazing as usual. What a prize-winning collection you have already. You may have to work on your birthday, but it must seem like you're having a birthday every day. Someone's got to do it...right?! Happy B-day! Sue

    ReplyDelete