Monday, March 16, 2009

Daytona Bike Week 2009





When you own a Harley Davidson you must attend Daytona Beach Bike Week. My wife Claire, had bought me a HD Road King for my 65th. birthday. I bet you are thinking crazy! Maybe she took out a huge life insurance policy on me? I am not a bad biker dude. Wannabe maybe. I am retired, married Claire December 20, 1975,  I
have 3 sons, Randy, Brian, Rob and 1 daughter, Sherri. I also have three Grandchildren, Cameron,MacKenzie, and Camryn. So you ask, "what am I doing riding a bike at my age"? Unknown to many, I am a neighborhood biker dude that likes to put put around town topping out at 50mph. Well now, Al a friend from the gym asked me if I wanted to drive to Daytona. Being a neighborhood biker dude never riding my bike on I-95, I had my doubts. I am 66 years old, never road a bike on I-95, Daytona is 250 miles away...... What the heck, I said yes. So I headed over to Al's house where I met Joe. Joe is from NY and had his bike shipped down. The three of us hopped on our HD's and off we went. We started out on A1A from Pompano Beach to West Palm Beach. Passed my old house where Donald Trump now lives. We then went onto I-95 and continued on to Daytona. Took us 5 hours to drive the 250+ miles but we made it. We did not have a motel room but Al said, "no problem". No motels, no motels. Al called a friend and he was able to book us a suite just outside of town. Pretty cool. It was dark by the time we got to the motel. We had started off for the motel and headed on I-95 going the wrong direction. After 5 miles we were able to get off and head back in the right direction. Off the ramp and to our motel.....well we turned to soon and now we are back onto I-95. So we drive another 5 miles get off and head back to the motel. We are now tired. We checked out our room, 1 bed and a pull-out couch. Now we are three grown men and we each wanted our own bed. Solution, we got two rooms. Now off to dinner. There was only 2 places to eat, a sandwich shop and a pizza joint. We decided to get pizza. We walked in at 10:00pm, and we were told they just closed and can't help us. We are off to a good start in Daytona. We went to the sandwich shop. Next day off to the beach to find another motel. Luck was with us, we found two great rooms on the ocean and only 1 mile from main st. Daytona was fun and we had a good time. We spent two nights there and headed home Sat. afternoon. Joe had his bike shipped back to NY from Daytona and he flew home. Al and I drove back home. It was dark when we hit West Palm so we had to slow down. Took us 6 hours to get home. Will I do it again. Hey, I'm 66 years old, not an easy task for this old guy.

3 comments:

  1. hey grandpa! welcome to the blogosphere :P i'm going to link u in my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why Florida is so great. There's an adventure waiting for you every day. You just have to hop on the Harley and go! Keep writing out west!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expect some updates on the trip back to the park!

    ReplyDelete